So, I often find myself spending entirely too much time on the computer. Apparently sitting in front of one at work, at school, and for my business ventures isn't enough to keep me away from my internet box. When I have free time, I have an urge and tendency to waste it browsing tumblr, Facebook, imgur or my email instead of doing something (ANYTHING!) productive.
I have quite a few goals that I could pursue instead but yet I find myself wasting time all too often. I need to stop. But why do I always do this?
I tell myself I'm bored. Or maybe, I'm boring. Eff. That's exactly what I don't want to be. Boring. What an ugly word.
John Berger, an art critic, novelist, painter and poet said, "Is boredom anything less than the sense of one's faculties slowly dying?"
I don't want my faculties to die. So I did what I do best. I made a list.
Instead of idling my time away, I will do one of these things instead. If I have a moment of weakness where I want to check my Google Reader for the
5th 10th time in one day, I will do one of these things instead.
So here it is, my "Do This, Not That" List:
- Study French
- Design a greeting card
- Draw Characters of/from
- Favorite movies
- Everyday life
- Write a poem
- Free form
- Write an editorial piece about a current event
- Read a book
- Try a new recipe
- Take a walk
- Make a clothes pin character
- Think of a theme and take 10 photos
- Practice a musical instrument
- Draw a comic of yourself
- Make a collage.
- Design a product
- Mold something out of clay
- Plan an outing
- Design a tattoo
- Call a friend to catch up
- Illustrate an inspiring quote
- Learn about a philosophical movement
- Draw a portrait
- Pick two nouns and an adjective & write a short story
- Study Religious Texts
- Give yourself a spa treatment
- Create a new font
- Design print material for potential client
- Find a piece of art to reproduce
- Draw a graffiti version of your name
- Bake something from scratch
- Detail clean something
- Make a paper doll + outfits
- Paper mache a mask
- Write about a significant moment in your life
- Make a mini-photo album complete with absurd captions
- Print out a picture. Deface it. Embellish it.
- Write a dialogue between two unlikely characters.
- Work on a coloring book.
- Dream up a successful business endeavor.
- Sew a pillowcase
- Experiment with watercolors
- Brush up on a subject.
- Refile/Reorganize/Tidy up something.
- Sketch 5 things around you.
- Outline a debate on a topic.
- Do MENSA mind challenges.
- Make a feltie.
- Practice drawing a body part.
- Make a new list of things to do. Then do it.
Now it's your turn!